How To Look Amazing On Your Wedding Day
A woman’s wedding day is one of the happiest times of her life, and something she will probably only do once. With all of her closest friends, family and distant relatives gathered around her, she is going to be the focus of attention for the entire day. It’s not really surprising then that most want to look their best on their wedding day. But even that part of the wedding requires preparation and planning – don’t worry though, we’re here to help with some industry tried and tested tips.
In The Run Up
The run up to a wedding is often chaotic, full of decisions, logistical problems, bookings to make, dress fittings and makeup trials to organise and arguments over what goes where (though not many of those we hope). But if you want to look your best on your wedding day, I’m afraid there are some more ‘pre-preparation’ elements to add to the list, including:
- Choose the right dress for your body shape. This will ensure your natural figure is accentuated and your best features are flattered, while the bits you don’t like can be played down.
- Play with different hairstyles. While ‘hair up’ is quite traditional (certainly in England), many brides find they look better with soft curls cascading down their face, or dead straight locks. Try out a few looks and work out which frames your face the best.
- Start getting yourself pampered. The key to flawless bridal beauty is all in the preparation. If you want your skin to glow, you need to get started on that a few months before. Start having regular facials and beauty treatments in the run up to the wedding, so that you can see the results and avoid the nightmare of a bad reaction. No one wants a red face from a bad chemical peel in their wedding photos! You should also make sure you’re drinking enough water to hydrate your skin, and getting enough sleep to reduce any bags under your eyes.
- Get some exercise. Around 6 months before the wedding, start trying to get a bit more active in your day to day life. Whether that’s joining a gym or going for a walk during your lunch break, make a point of getting some form of exercise. Even if you aren’t looking to lose weight, this will help you tone up for the wedding and can be a fantastic stress reliever after all the planning!
On The Big Day
The big day is here! We know just how exciting that can be when all the stress of planning can be forgotten and you can focus on enjoying yourself. However, just before you take that walk down the aisle, you have some final preparations to make sure you look and feel your absolute best.
- Get enough sleep. There is nothing more important in your makeup bag than a good night’s sleep, so even if you have a rehearsal dinner beforehand, make sure you get enough sleep to wake up refreshed and energised.
- Wake up early enough to shower. The last thing you want to do is oversleep and miss the opportunity to shower. You want to be clean and refreshed, so wake up early enough to shower. Use your most pampering products to get yourself relaxed, and make sure you shave in the shower too!
- Turn up to makeup and hair appointments 15 minutes early. You never know what can happen on the day, so make sure you leave enough time for some emergency fixes at your appointments. Make sure you wear a button down shirt to get your makeup and hair done so that you can peel it off without pulling anything over your head and smudging your makeup or dislodging your hair.
- Bring touch ups. Where possible, have the makeup products used with you during the day (or with a bridesmaid) so that you can do touch ups and not have to worry about faded lipstick or smudged under eyes.
- Smile! It’s the happiest day of your life, so don’t forget to smile! Smiling can bring a radiance and glow to your face all of its own, and it’s far more beautiful than any makeup product. Keep your eyes open and show your happiness on your face every second.
And then, of course, we come to the wedding photos – one of the few parts of your day that will be with you for years to come, after the sun has set and time has moved on. Every bride wants to look back on her wedding photos and see herself as beautiful and happy, but will often notice tiny imperfections that weren’t noticeable on the day. To prevent this sad possibility – we have a few tips to make your wedding photos sparkle:
- Set your makeup with powder to reduce shine and glare.
- Carry a lip liner with you all night for touch ups to help your lips look plump in every snap.
- If you’re wearing your hair up, put foundation and powder on your neck and ears as well to prevent tide marks.
- Get to know your photographer beforehand – if it’s a stranger you will look stiff and uncomfortable, but if it’s someone you know even a little, you’re more likely to be natural and look relaxed.
- Straighten your shoulders towards the camera – don’t push one forward. All this does is make you look bulky and slight off centre.
- In posed shots, move your head forward slightly and lift your chin. This will avoid the dreaded ‘double chin’ and give you a nice, elegant long neck.
At Riki Dalal, we specialise in helping brides find that one wedding dress that will make them feel perfect. Our dresses have a unique style and flair unlike traditional British designs, perfect for brides looking to stand out and make a real statement. To find out more, browse through our collections or book an appointment at our London boutique today.
Comments are closed